Friday, November 5, 2010

Social Experiment

Since the Supreme Court began hearing opening arguments for the California game ban law on Tuesday, I decided to conduct a small social experiment.  Next Tuesday, November 9th, Call of Duty: Black Ops will be released.  CoD is rated M for Mature audiences 17 and older.  Now, people tend to mistake me for someone that is only about fifteen years old.  Honestly, some people do not believe that I am an 18 (almost 19) year old college kid.  This may help me in the future when I'm about 30, but right now it is a little depressing.  Anyway, I digress.  My point is that I was forced to show my government certified ID in order to PRE-ORDER a video game.  California is claiming that the institutions set in place by the ESA and ESRB are not being effective.  Believe it or not, many companies, especially GameStop, threaten their employees with immediate termination or other harsh penalties if they were to sell a 'M' rated game to someone under the age of 17.  If I had not had my license on me, I would not have been able to entertain myself come 12:01 am Tuesday morning.  And that would have been tragic.  Very tragic.

No comments:

Post a Comment